May 31, 2004

Greater Than Less Than


Or... Equal to?

Thoughts that I wanted to share with you today:

  • I've always been a proponent of the claim that an individual is better off having known any given person that they have encountered in their life. Recently my own behaviour has made me call this claim into question. Is there not an equal opportunity to be "worse off"? It really isn't a question of benefit or disadvantage; rather, it's a question of net benefit. Were there more positive outcomes in my personality, my intellect, my attitudes, behaviour, and soul, after knowing her, or more negative. I cannot decide.


  • What do you do when you realize that you've become a part of an abstract entity? "Ottawa", "The Bureaucracy", and "The Government" were always very abstract entities to me. Even when I first rushed the scene, the city was still somewhere near Olympus. Even when I could see parliament hill and the Peace Tower from my high-rise living room, it was still miles away. Kilometres, my bad. Even when I met the people and walked the hallways the bureaucracy was still a sallow, faceless spectre. Ever so slowly, it's all becoming real. I'm not so much frightened by the existential nature of my post-modern conundrum. I'm more concerned by the question that I have to ask myself next: what do you do when you realize that you've become a part of an abstract entity that you detest?



Love, Sarah