September 18, 2005

Drowning, or the Downside of Desirability


In actuality, my nightmares are most likely panic attacks that occur during sleep. Chances that the nightmares of many can be described as such are high. Lately, though, I have the feeling that the boundaries between life and dreams are starting to fade. Perhaps it's a product of not sleeping enough. Even my subconscious is infected by the rushed pace of my life, unable to torture me sufficiently in my sleep. Perhaps it's a product of the exhaustion. While my body rests my mind succumbs to the quiet as best it can. Perhaps it's the precursor to something deeper, more insidious. Perhaps the panic in my chest and the fear creeping up my neck and shoulders across my skull is my signal. Soon I'll step out, fall down, and no one will know what happened, but everyone will know that I couldn't do it. All this from my drowning laundry.