October 23, 2004

What to Do When a Wolf Chases You 700 Kilometres and Tries to Eat You, Causing You to Have Seizure-Like Panic Attack:


Dear Geneviève,

During the past few months I have experienced a great deal of stress that has affected my ability to work and has affected my daily life. I find that overall, the level of stress I am experiencing at work, in my academics, and in my personal life is steadily increasing. After reflecting on this problem for a few weeks, I have decided that it would be best for me to resign from my position here at ***. As you know, I have had ongoing pay and employment status problems with human resources since September, and during the first three months of my time at *** had no fixed work station. I feel that these issues were not addressed in a timely fashion, and that the delays in these matters contributed greatly to the work-related stress that I have experienced. I feel that the manner in which these issues were handled indicates a lack of respect for my role and the contributions I have made. Had these issues been handled differently, I believe I would not have experienced the same levels of discomfort and stress.

During the summer, when I was not trying to balance my studies with work, I was able to cope with this stress better than I have since commencing school in September, but I nonetheless saw negative impacts of work-stress in my personal life. Now that my main focus is my academic work, I find that I do not have the time or energy to maintain productive work levels at work and at school. The weight of my work-related stress coupled with the stress I expected to encounter at school is becoming quite overwhelming. Thus I feel that my best option at this point is to leave *** so that I can focus on my studies and hopefully forget the stress associated with my time here.

It is unfortunate that these issues did arise, because apart from them, I found my experience with the ************************** quite satisfactory. I am grateful for the learning opportunities that you and the team have provided me, and for the friendships that I developed here at ***. I would like to thank you for the guidance you provided me, and for acting as an advocate for me in situations where I could not do so myself. I know that you made every effort to resolve these issues, and although it would have been ideal if neither of us had to deal with the stress of these issues, I am glad to have had someone as kind and genuine as yourself to share the weight of these challenges. I hope that we can continue this relationship and perhaps work together again in the future.


Sincerely,
Sarah Malik