February 24, 2006

Take Me Out at the Dreams



The smell in the air, the blue of the building, the dark, wet gray of the pavement below. There was a humid wind that carried the scent of the rain and the clouds to me, buffeting my cheeks and stirring my heart.

The kites in the sky, crashing, soaring, falling, and flying, while strings of glass and sand cut through the sky 'til we were sore and bloody. The shouts of children, the shouts of men, the sweet smell of the rain in the humid spring air. Oh the sweet smell of rain.

I wore blue linen and lace, the smell of fresh linen and starch about me. The breeze made me shiver as I watched the world move over a ledge, watching reds and blues cut through the brilliant green and grey below.

You were young, I was younger. No one ever knew.

When you crept up behind me my brooding soul was lulled. When you caught my shoulders my heart jumped back and my breath caught against a knot in my throat. A shock, a gasp, and a lifetime passed in that one moment.

We've moved away from those worlds, to new and unusual places. You were never there, and you never will be more. I will always look back, on grey days when warm winds soothe my passionate soul, and remember for one day that I loved.