April 17, 2004

Slashes


I wrote a painting a few days ago. I tried to post it on the underground but it doesn't seem to translate very well into type-face. There is definitely something to be said for penmanship. I wonder how much more interesting books would be if they were all just photocopies of handwritten manuscripts*. The slant of the author's hand. The illegibility of the most inspired sections, when the author had to rush fervently to save all her words in ink and paper so that they wouldn't slip away. The scratches, the scribbles, and the spelling errors. Especially the spelling errors.
*I cannot decide if it is redundant to say "handwritten manuscript". While I am reasonably certain that contemporary manuscripts are not, for the most part, handwritten, there is still a certain echo in the pulse of both words. Like two very old men, dusty and tanned, who share the same heartbeat.