February 17, 2004

A Return to the Norm


Every day things seem to change a little so nothing can quite work the way it used to. My eyes are doomed to a life of disfunction. I'll probably never stay with my parents for a period of more than three weeks again. I'll never stay up until three in the morning lying on my bedroom floor talking about nothing at all with my brother. I'll never even sleep in that bedroom again. Can anything ever really be the same, or is it just the details that change? Take my relationship with my father for example. I've always been much closer to my father than I am to my mother. While I still share a close relationship with him, I no longer forgive him as easily as I used to. As I've grown older and gained more distance from my father, I've become increasingly aware of his flaws and am more critical of and apt to scrutinize his actions. Despite this change in my regard for my father, I still love him. So what exactly is it that changes? Will things ever go back to the way they used to be, or have they not really changed very much to begin with?